In recent years, toxic mold in commercial properties and homes has increased dramatically, leading to injuries and even death. The reasons are many: poor building techniques, substandard materials and airtight designs are just a few of them. Mold thrives in wet, damp and dark environments, so leaky roofs, poorly insulated windows, improper insulation and pipe leaks can all lead to excess moisture, which festers into mold.
There are some warning signs, including a musty odor, discoloration on the walls or ceilings or even visible growth around the premises. However, mold can exist in your house or place of business without you even knowing. Children, the elderly and people with weak immune systems or allergies are the most susceptible to the damaging effects of toxic mold.
That's why it's important to identify the symptoms. The symptoms of toxic mold can take many forms, including:
- Flu symptoms
- Sinus congestion
- Respiratory issues
- Skin Irritation
There are more than 100,000 species of mold, but a few of the most common include:
- Stachybotrys atra
If you feel like toxic mold at your home or business has led to devastating injuries or the death of a loved one, you will want to consider talking to a lawyer who's experienced with construction defects. He or she will be able to look at your case and determine if a claim for compensation is warranted. The legal ramifications are often complex and many states have a statute of limitations for suits involving toxic mold, so the sooner you act, the better.